Auburn Lull – Hiber



Auburn Lull - Hiber
Revisiting my heroes from the past, I sat down and listened to Begin Civil Twilight. Immediately I remembered the pain of getting a copy of this album and the whole catalogue from Auburn Lull. Living in Germany I could not mail-order those records from Darla, the record label, because I didn´t have a credit card. So I took to Amazon and ordered… and waited. After about two months I could say it, “I own everything from Auburn Lull” and none of the CD cases were intact. Fuck you, postage system from six years earlier! 

Aside from this little anecdote, I remembered a quit and contemplative nature, which only this kinds of music could give me. I never thought about it as ambient or shoegaze, more like soundscape artists that happened to have singing included. If there is any time for their music it must be fall, swaying synths like fog rising or an early setting of the sun. Auburn Lull were pure distance for me, a taste of spiritual isolation from each and every thing whose value and meaning diminished from a critical point of view. I came to conclude “I hate my life” just as often as I said “I love this life”. Perfect balance. 



So filled with nostalgia I asked “What might they be doing today?”. One website visit later I had downloaded their Hiber EP they released in May of this year. Auburn Lull are finally back making music (I hope even more) and these 22 minutes play like new entry points to my old ways of thinking. Purely instrumental, I feel like the band has finally found their inner Eno in this EP. From ghostly “CA1”, lucid “Hiber” and murky “Static Partition”, they show that their musical idea of guitar driven soundscapes hasn´t aged in any way. In the last years I´ve come to miss gripping music in this lane and with their short EP Auburn Lull have only reinstated that feeling while giving a short glimpse of hope. So stay tuned, for I sense great things coming. And the next time, maybe with vocals again.

Download it for free here.

And damn those 100 people who got to buy the cassette!

7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Albums 2022 Part I 50 – 41

Top Tracks 2016 Part IV 70 – 61

Top Tracks 2016 Part VII 40 – 31